Wednesday, April 30, 2014

20 Week Check-Up

Except that as I write this, I am actually 22 weeks and 1 day. 

Needless to say, I am terrible at keeping up with this whole 4 week update at a time pregnancy thing. 

I will try better at 24. Promise. 




We went for our 20 week appointment, otherwise known as the anomaly scan, during my spring break on Thursday, April 17th. It really worked out well that this visit ended up falling during this week since it was going to take about 20-30 minutes just to do the ultrasound. 
The ultrasound tech checked all the major organs and took a closer look at Emery and the uterus, and checked to see that sweet baby boy was developing normally. She also looked to see where the placenta was lying in the uterus. 

We also invited our mamas to this appointment, neither of which had ever seen or had an ultrasound of this type. Needless to say, having them both there was really special and something I am sure none of us will ever forget. 


Two sets of twins, no doubt. 
Up until this point, I had yet to feel Emery kick - which was making me more than a little nervous since I had been told by my doctor, and the general public, that you typically begin to feel movement as early as 16 weeks, but definitely by 18-20 weeks. 
However, I had read that if the placenta is in front of the baby, you wouldn't feel movement as soon and as much. 

As it should turn out, that would be the case.
We began the ultrasound and she first let us hear the heartbeat, and shared that I was measuring a little ahead - stating that Emery could potentially make his grand entrance by the end of August! She then asked if I had felt any movement, and when I nervously told her, "No," she said, "Well that would be because your placenta is right in front, acting as a cushion!" 
This mama did a huge sigh of relief. 

From there, she went through the rest of the ultrasound and everything looked great! We loved getting to see the heart, the brain, the kidneys, the diaphragm - so very cool. No words to express the moment in seeing all of this....
....or the dismay that follows over the truth about abortion when you are in those quiet and unbelievable moments. 

After we finished up with the tech, we met with my doctor for a lengthy 5 minutes, and she stated after looking at the ultrasound information, "Everything looks PERFECT!" She had nothing but good things to say, and said my weight, measurement, blood pressure, and vitals were good as gold! 






Weight gain: 14 lbs (6 lbs from 16 to 20 week appointment). Part of me thinks that I am still gaining too much, but every visit I ask the doctor, and every visit she looks at me like I am crazy....and says my weight gain is perfectly fine. She also reminds me that I was little to begin with; so every pound will seem like 5 in my mind.
Did I mention how much I love her???

Sleep: Ugh. I don't want to talk about it.
Maybe I will feel more like doing so next update. 

GenderB-O-Y, BOY!!! 

NameWe finalized baby boy's name on Saturday, April 12th, while on a mini road trip to IKEA: Emery Anthony Edens!!! A blog post with the name explanation is to follow at some point....

Feeling: Great! I have no major complaints...I can honestly say, I love being pregnant. It is such a blessing! I deal with major aches, pains, and soreness in my legs, calves, back (and more recently my feet), but I think it's the nature of my job and standing on my feet all day. I am not coming home as many days from school and feeling like I must lie down and rest for a while before getting some things done around the house though. I also get really bad indigestion and reflux still, but it does pass. 

Cravings: Still nothing. 

Health: I am officially considering the fact that I teach kindergarten - up all day, on my feet, putting on the greatest show on earth - a huge daily exercise regime. I walk about 2 days a week, so I'll take that, too. Eating the same, trying to get in lots of fruits, veggies, and milk. 

I was 22 weeks yesterday, and my next appointment is Thursday, May 15th for a general check-up and talk with the doctor.

20 Weeks...baby banana. 


I am so grateful to God in heaven for the grace of a wonderful, healthy 20 week check-up, and as of late, I cannot seem to forget how thankful I am for LIFE. 

No comments: