Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Beautiful, historical, inspirational city...

This evening I had to make a trip, as I like to say, "out of the city" and into West Ashley. As you know, there is the Cooper River Bridge off the peninsula and into Mt. Pleasant, but there are obviously other bridges leading to other areas outside of the city. We rarely ever go out to Mt. P. unless it is Sunday and we're headed to church. So in turn, we rarely ever go over the "Big" bridge that most people relate to when they think of Charleston. 

But that's not my favorite bridge anyways. The bridge that takes you out of downtown and into West Ashley, James Island, and Folly Beach will be THE bridge I remember when I look back on our time in Charleston. Man oh man, I LOVE that bridge....but more than just the bridge, it's the VIEW. It overlooks of course, the water, but the Charleston City Marina (it's actually nicknamed the MegaDock) is located at water's edge so this is what you see as you cross over the water to come into downtown. It is spectacular. The picture posted doesn't do it justice (plus, it's much prettier at night). The boats are big and beautiful, and always lined up perfectly across the water. Nighttime is breathtaking. I have found myself many times, as I've been coming across the bridge, almost have a wreck and topple right over the bridge into the water because I couldn't take my eyes off the sight. At night all of the boats are spread out across the water in just the right spots and they have a small light that you can see on atop of each one. When you look at it, it looks just like the night sky in the mountains; millions of stars blanketing the sky....but in this case the water. And there's always a calming wind that's over the water and I promise, from my car as I cross over that tall bridge, I can see the water rippling.

It's luminous and beautiful and I hope I never lose that picture in my mind as long as I live because it's a memory I have from being a newlywed with my precious husband in one of the most beautiful, historic cities. 

So. In driving over my favorite bridge tonight, I'm inspired to do a "Top 10" --Favorite things from downtown Charleston Living-- that will explain -although extremely excited about our next traveling adventure- why I will miss city living so very, very much.

10.10 minutes from the beach. 'Nuff said. 
9. Weekend market in Marion Square and the Battery.
8. Starbucks is less than a mile from home.
7. Riding my bike to do all my errands.
6. Being able to walk everywhere. Everywhere.
5. In turn, only having to fill up on gas once every month.
4. Having only a 2 minute walk to work, which is literally across the street from home.
3. Such a diverse selection of restaurants, you could live here for a year before you eat at the same place twice.
2. The feeling of being so close to the water, seeing all the beautiful boats, and the city lights at night.
1. The history, preservation, and southern charm within the city that makes you PROUD to be from SC. 

Also, there is a song that I have listened to over and over this semester that excites me to my core. I have pretty much self proclaimed it my theme song for our "semester in Charleston." I don't even know what it is about the song. It's by Coldplay (which if you know me, you know pretty much all of their songs excite me to the core....definitely in my Top 5 of all time favorite bands) and there are no lyrics, just music. It was actually part of the wedding video that Jonathan's parents made and showed at our Rehearsal dinner, and I think there's a connection that I make in relation to our relationship through the years (it's also currently the ringtone for whenever he calls me).
It just overwhelms me with so many feelings. And I know every time I hear "Life in Technicolor" for the rest of our lives, I will immediately think back to this time in our lives!! :) 



Yeah. So...I love this city. And will miss it dearly, but have much to look back on and remember that I know will make me smile. Places, walks, talks, dinners, movies, experiences. So many memories the newlyweds made in such a beautiful, historical city.
I know we'll never forget the first 5 months of our marriage and living in downtown Charleston. 

No comments: