Sunday, December 7, 2008

Goodbye November.....WELCOME DECEMBER!!!

Well, hello there!!! :) :)

It's been almost a month since I last posted....but November was not very nice to me. I caught whatever bug was going around (congestion, runny nose, sore throat, and a cough that could make your mama wince) and it truly did last a good 3 to 4 weeks. Ridiculous. I'm still taking Mucinex every morning and every night....maybe my body is addicted?? Let's hope not!! :)

My grandpa (my dad's dad) passed away the Sunday night before Thanksgiving and Jonathan and I were thankful that although a difficult situation, we would be able to be at the services since we had already planned to be upstate for the break, and they were held the day before Thanksgiving. I appreciate everyone who sent such kind words of encouragement and spoke to me personally about our loss. It was comforting to know that others cared, and for that I am very grateful. :)
It was hard; anytime you lose someone you love there is pain. But, I think, for the most part we all had a peace about his passing. He lived a long and fruitful life. 7 children, 12 grandchildren, and 16 great-grandchildren....wow. What a blessing to have such a large family to turn to in times of sorrow. I think he would be proud of what we have all become today. There is no doubt, I know he is in God's arms now and fishing the days away!!! 

Me and my grandpa on Father's Day 2008 

So although November was harsh on my immune system and brought a tough loss with it, we did manage to enjoy an upstate Thanksgiving break. It was SO relaxing and the timing was just perfect. Knowing that the last 2 weeks of Jonathan's 1st semester of graduate school would be immediately after the holiday, we had to take advantage of every minute to get ready for the end of the hardest semester of Jonathan's udergrad/grad
career thus far. Daddy and Mama Edens went to Mississippi to be with Rebekah, so we spent the holiday in Pelzer with Daddy and Mama Moore. We got into town that Tuesday night around 11 PM and were able to spend a couple of hours with them before they left. We missed all 3 of them terribly, but can't wait for Christmas when the WHOLE family can all be together again!!! :)
Basically, we slept, ate, showered, and watched football over the break. I did manage to squeeze in some shopping (I know; imagine that!! Ha!!) with my mom and aunt Rita on Black Friday. We ate at Cracker Barrell at 6:30 AM and then shopped for a good 6 hours. Sad thing is, there really weren't that many good deals so we didn't buy too much.
All in all, the break was WONDERFUL and when Sunday evening rolled around we did not want to leave. It's amazing how even after being married, we can still find such comfort in being with our parents and in familiar surroundings. I never thought I would say it in a million years, but when we rolled into town that Tuesday night, we passed the Bi-Lo, and I exclaimed, "I love Pelzer!!!" Ha!!!

THE spread on Thanksgiving Day at my mom and dad's house

I know Jonathan desperately needed the break. I will be SO glad when the school part of this semester is over and I can finally have my husband back. It's funny....we actually saw each other more before we were married!! But I know this is just temporary; and in a mere 5 days it will all be over. I'm not going to lie; getting married and jumping immediately into graduate school (and not just any grad school, but graduate school for architecture) has not been an easy feat on a young, newlywed couple.
We have learned a lot about what works and what doesn't and have grown as husband and wife. Although it has really tested our marriage early on, I think I can speak for both of us when I say we came out on the winning side. And although what seemed at the time as something we may have not been able to overcome, I am so thankful for this semester and for God putting us here and at this time. I didn't think it was possible, because I have always known that Jonathan and I have a very special relationship that was set apart, but we are now stronger than ever. I know that we can always rely not only on God, but can also rely on one another to help bring the other through whatever life throws us.
In saying that, let me also say that we, as a couple, are FAR from perfect and will never be perfect. We each have our traits that are not so wonderful, but I think it's the being NOT perfect that makes it wonderful. I think that God can pour His blessings on the most imperfect husband and wife as long as they seek Him together, always, in all that they do. He'll work out all the other stuff. And looking back over the semester, did we always do the right thing? NO. Did we always make the right decisions? Goodness NO. Did we always handle the situation and speak to one another as we should have? Probably not. But I can't help but smile when I look back on the memories and experiences we shared in the first 5 months of our marriage in such a historical, beautiful city as Charleston. I can't wait to see what God has in store for us. My only prayer is that, in the days to come, we strive to glorify Him each and every day in our words, actions, and relationship with one another.

On the swings, downtown Charleston 2008

So, November ended and we GLADLY welcomed in December. After getting back Sunday night, I am more than ready for the Christmas season. I, like most of you, am listening to the Christmas music 24/7 and cannot help but sing at the top of my lungs. I want to watch holiday classics, bake cookies, drink Starbucks, hot chocolate, sit by the fire, spend time with family and friends and finally relax (and spend time with) my husband. We only had 2 weeks left in our adorable Charleston home, but I couldn't help myself and first thing getting off work Monday, I had to go buy the necessary materials and make a wreath to put on the front door.
I cannot believe that at this point we only have 10 days in Charleston left. I'm SO sad, and will miss downtown Charleston living a whole lot, and it's been an amazing experience, but we're ready for the next adventure.

Us with our Christmas Wreath 2008

And speaking of that, this is going to be a BUSY month for us!!! We're packing it all up on Wednesday the 17th to head upsate for about 3 weeks, and then its holiday parties, a Christmas shower, an anniversary party, and spending every last minute we can with family and friends before we make the move to Europe for the next 5 months!!
There is so much to do to get ready, but bring on another amazing adventure for the Edens!!! We are going to miss the States and everyone SO very much, but 2nd to our wedding day, I have never been more excited and anticipated anything before in my life!!!

Please continue to keep us in your prayers as they will be very much needed in the months to come!!! :) We appreciate it so much and feel so blessed by the love and support that we know we have from family and friends.

Until next time, arrivederci amori!

1 comment:

SM Edens said...

This is a very sweet blog. (... and your hand-crafted wreath is beautiful). Merry Christmas!
Love, San