Thursday, June 4, 2009

Just had to share...

The coolest thing happened tonight. 

After Jonathan and I had finished up some of our nightly routines -cook dinner, eat, clean up, workout- it occurred to us that we had remembered earlier in the evening that we most definitely needed a few grocery necessities (ie - loaf bread, sandwich meat, etc.). 

Now, could we go on without these few items??? Sure. However we've really been eating a lot of sandwiches lately, and to save money, it helps if Jonathan is able to take his lunch instead of eating at the awful downtown, overpriced restaurants (which we just simply do not have the money for). 

Lately, given our current situation (along with an enormous amount of the rest of the US population, no doubt), we have been really, really strapped financially. So, even a venture to the grocery store for just a few items could seem almost impossible to us. 

Well. God, as He always does, showed up just in time. And that's exactly what He does. He shows up when we most need Him yet least expect Him. This past Christmas, we were given quite a few gift cards to various restaurants and stores, and, being that we were about to move to Europe for the next 4 months, we put these away as they would be useless there (seeing as how none of these establishments existed). 
We re-discovered them upon returning (during our move to our apartment), and I had put them altogether in a small basket near the front door. As we were getting ready to leave tonight, Jonathan happened to notice them. He pulled the stack out, and of all places, the one on top was for Wal-Mart. Which just so happens to be 5 minutes down the road. Which just so happens to be where we usually get groceries. Which just so happens to be where we were going. 

Man. If that isn't God showing up in a BIG way, then I don't know what is. May seem like something very small, but for us it was huge. We had no idea how much was on it, or if we had even used it already, but regardless, we took it with us. We very quickly passed through the grocery section, getting what we thought would be necessary in the next week or so and anxiously made our way to the check out. 

Would you believe it?!!? 
After ringing up our groceries, we gave the card to the lady explaining our knowledge (or lack there of) about the card, and our grand total came up to about $6!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The card was worth $25 bucks and hadn't been used yet!!!!!!!!!!! We got all of our necessities for $6 bucks!!!!!!!!! We were very, very excited and this was a great way to end our day.  After feeling stressed about making the purchase, we left with huge smiles on our faces. Thank you Jesus. :) 

I think the best way to sum up our evening is in two ways, both of which were shared with me by 2 amazing friends from my CAA family. I don't know what I would do without their love and encouragement. Lately, I have been really discouraged with the current state of the school(s) budget(s) and the job situation surrounding next school year, and both of these friends just happened to send these my way this week. Thanks SO much Barbara and Renee'!!!! 

The first was a verse that, I'm sure most of us have memorized because it was one of those verses that you grew up learning. One of the "popular" verses I call them. It comes from Philippians chapter 4 verse 19: And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus. We know this verse, but, how often do we really forget the true meaning. It was good for me to be reminded. 

And the second was so on target it's crazy. It was an email that I received talking about God's blessings and that, just because one door closes, doesn't mean another one isn't going to open. It reminded me that God always has my best interests in mind, and, to never forget His blessings and to always trust Him and to let my worries go. Much easier said than done. Much easier. It also included a verse that encourages to trust so that God can lead you to amazing opportunities. It comes from the 3rd chapter of Revelation in verse 8: I know your deeds. See, I have placed before you an open door that no one can shut. I know that you have little strength, yet you have kept my word and have not denied my name.



It's good to be reminded. And it's GREAT when God shows up in a big way. :)