Saturday, October 18, 2008

Can you feel Fall?


I arrived to the upsate, specifically Pelzer, this evening to celebrate the sister's 30th (haha, jk jk ash) birthday with our parents. Drive was good, very uneventful, -unless you count watching/listening/being entertained by Robert and his undying devotion to pester his wife to pieces...TOO funny.....I haven't laughed that hard in a while- we had Rush's for dinner in the car while passing through Columbia, and arrived to Robinwood around 10 o'clock.

The most amazing things happened.

I turned into the back entrance of the neighborhood (coming from New Hope) although I almost always use the main entrance. We were stopping by to have a late snack with our aunt Nan and uncle Joe because we hadn't seen them in quite some time and they live on this entrance side. Well, although I shouldn't, but because I am so familiar with it, I always drive WAY too fast, especially through the hilly parts. If you've ever been in Robinwood, it's shaped like a U, and has a main hill on both sides....one that goes up and one that goes down. Well the one that goes down is on the side of where my aunt and uncle live.

And it's especially fun if you drive down it fast. Real fast. Well. Back to this amazing thing. I'm doing all my usual quirks as previously described, and as I hit the bottom of the hill I see it. Leaves. All sorts of leaves. Tons of them. Brown ones. Red ones. Orange ones. Yellow ones.

It was beautiful. The wind from my car blew them into the air like a child blowing dandelion seeds and each single leaf whirled all around the car falling gracefully back to the ground. It was a moment. Only a moment that can happen in fall, and more specifically, in the upstate of South Carolina (ie - NOT Charleston). I sighed a HUGE sigh, and simply said, "Ahhhh."
It happened once more while headed to our parents' house, driving far too fast on the other hill. Again, another "Ahhhh" worthy moment.

Another amazing thing. I got ready for bed with the bathroom window opened and felt -I remind you what can only be felt in the upstate of South Carolina- a cool, crisp air come through and fill the bathroom and my bedroom like a canopy of sheer happiness.

I stood there and just breathed it all in for a good minute or so.

Man. There ain't nothing else like it.
This weekend is going to be FALLishly good. I can just tell.

No comments: