Thursday, September 4, 2008

Obsession

I love music. I always have and inevitably always will.

I can remember even when I was younger, 5 or so, and I would come home from school and watch Sesame Street. I LOVED this show b/c I always knew it would be filled with all sorts of musical numbers.
Disney movies. I would watch Mary Poppins, Beauty and the Beast, and The Little Mermaid over and over and over while mirroring myself to each "star" of the movie as she performed number after number. Ariel's "Part of Your World" was a favorite...I remember doing the scene where she bursts from the water on top of the rock (as she sings from afar to prince Eric) constantly in the swimming pool -as if I truly were her.
Remember when you come of age and you begin to notice those POP songs that are popular?? Well I do. I used to hideout in my room around that awkward middle school age and blast my bummed radio (one that inevitably was about shot but had been given to me, the youngest, which I deemed as a "true treasure!) with the latest IT songs playing (you know...Boyz II Men, All 4 One, TLC...c'mon...it was the mid to late 90's).
As I got into high school the music I listened went from "whatever was cool" to a lot of HisRadio (Christian Pop, old stuff, etc.). This has remained a constant, but as I got into college and now my early adult years, I have found that the bands and songs I enjoy most are those that are the soundtrack to my life.
There are times when I have sat in church at Whitefield (our home church in the upstate) and listened to the music on Sunday mornings and been so moved that I thought I would literally explode with joy, hurt, brokeness, or sometimes a feeling that I couldn't even describe. I know the music there is like none other in the upstate and possibly even the state...they have a committed group of people that share true God-given talent each and every week and if you've never heard it you should. It's remarkable. But there have been a couple of Sunday's where I really had to hold back the tears and shaking, for fear that any of the "regulars" sitting around us might think something was truly wrong with me. Thank goodness Jonathan is the only one who has ever noticed. Sometimes I don't think it's true talent that has the ability to move us in such a way...it's what we allow the music to do to us.
And ultimately, I believe that is why my husband and I had such a hard time finalizing the music for our wedding ceremony (he too shares this same passion). In the end, there was no doubt...it was perfect. Exactly as we imagined it playing out. We managed to squeeze in all the songs we had always wanted and we had such a variety. But, for kicks, we HAD to include a take home CD for our guests of love songs that had meant something to us as a couple and our relationship. Can you imagine the time it took us to weed THAT play list down to just 18 or so songs?!?!? We had to fit them all onto 1 CD (for cost purposes) but could have easily made it a 2 or even 3 disc-er.

I could listen to music every minute of the day. Incessantly. When I worked at Calhoun, I would get to school and whatever song -CD or radio- that I might be listening to, it would kill me to have to get out and go in because I just wanted to sit in my car and listen all day. I would sometimes do that (well...not all day....just until the song I was listening to finished). And then as soon as I got in, I would turn my radio on to HisRadio and let it play until the bell rung, and sometimes I would "forget" to turn it off. I would, eventually, whenever we did an activity or lesson that it disturbed.

I have at least a 100 favorite songs and about 50 favorite bands/artists. I guess if I had to pick my top 5 it would consist of:

1. All Will Be Well -The Gabe Dixon Band
2. Adelaide - Ben Folds
3. Gracie - Ben Folds
4. Breakable - Ingrid Michaelson
5. With a Song in My Heart - Ella Fitzgerald

You have NO idea how hard that was. It changes week to week, sometimes day to day.

Anyways, I got a new fav. You may have already heard of her. If not, PLEASE check her out. She's so typical Linz music. She's awesome. A mixture of folk and pianoery.

Rosie Thomas.
My faves so far:

The One I Love
Kite Song
Songbird
Say Hello
Wedding Day

So, I want to know...do any of YOU out there have a top 5 and what are they?!?!??

No comments: