Sunday, January 17, 2010

The Barrier Islands

As most of you know, I was given the great opportunity of heading down to the Barrier Islands with our 5th graders this past week as a chaperone. We left on Monday morning, bright and early at 6AM, and returned on Wednesday evening, around 6:30PM. I do not have a whole lot of experience with 5th graders, but as it should turn out, they're just the same ole' kids you had in 1st grade, only bigger and with a more extensive vocabulary!! 

This group was especially special to me because, it included the students that I student taught in my first experience at Calhoun (and they are some of the greatest, sweetest students I have come to teach yet!). I was so excited at the thought of getting to hang out with them for a couple of days and reconnect. 

I really liked the way the trip was scheduled because for each part, I was with a different group of students which allowed me the opportunity to get to know more of them. I had a group that I was with in my cabin (Osprey A, what what!!!! YEAH!!), a group for meals (TABLE 6, YEAH!!), and a field group that I led with another teacher for all of our activities. The meals were unbelievable, the camp staff really enjoyed our kids, and the field activities were a lot of fun (especially the mud pit.....the kids LOVE the mud pit). 

I know the kids had a great time, but it was an awesome experience for me as well. I am so thankful to have been able to go, and hope to attend again in the future!! :) 

Osprey A and B girls outside of our cabin.

Some of my AWESOME girls from table 6!!

        
The kids in the MUD PIT!!!   


Our group on the beach, after the mud pit :) With black eyes.

        
Team building time, working together.   


Cabin Osprey A on the beach!! 

The beach in the afternoon sun :) 

Barrier Islands 2010, what a trip!!! :) 

1 comment:

SM Edens said...

That looked like such a fun trip -- but I do believe I'd enjoy it more in late spring !! :)