Wednesday, January 27, 2010

God's Humor and What Really Matters :)

We all know that God is many great things, and one, is that he has a really good sense of humor.

Over a year ago, last December, Jonathan and I made a very big purchase as we got ready for our trip to Europe. After much research and discussion, we decided to buy a wide angle lens for our Rebel XTI. Prior to this, Jonathan had one that we were using, but it belonged to his firm, Neal Prince, and was mainly for work photography (although we made it work for most other types of photography as well).
This was a BIG, BIG purchase for us; considering the finances necessary for the actual trip, but one that we knew would pay itself 10 times over in the long run.

Well.
When June rolled around, we had a lot of different wedding festivities going on for my sister-in-law's upcoming nuptials, all of which required lots of picture taking. As a result, we were constantly charging batteries, switching lenses, taking the bag here and there, uploading pics to this computer and that one, and spreading our camera and accessories all over the place.

June 25, 2009, the night of the wedding rehearsal, our brand new, not cheap, wide angle lens purchase goes missing :(
If you've ever experienced this, you know that awful sick feeling you get when something so expensive is just gone. Like that. We have spent the past 7 months in turmoil over this, racking our brains, retracing every little move from that night, and praying for it to show up and not be lost forever.

As it should turn out, I was in Pelzer at my parents house last night in one of the upstairs bedrooms, my sister's old room, piddling in some drawers. There is an antique nightstand beside the bed that I happened to open, and as soon as I did, to what did my wandering eyes see inside, but a perfectly preserved wide angle lens safely secured in its case.
Oh man. I think I jumped clear out of my skin. I immediately ran to get my phone and call Jonathan to tell him the GREAT news.
At first he was so shocked I don't think he believed me, but once it sunk in, we could not help but laugh at ourselves. The whole situation from that night and why we put it in the nightstand instantly came back to us.


With that being said, as I went into my day today, it quickly progressed into "one of those" kind of days. Frankly, I think it's "that" time of year......which I am affectionately beginning to call the "wintry blues." And as I had some time to reflect at the end of the school day, it occurred to me what a terrible wife I have been lately in terms of my time given to my husband, and not just time spent, but time listened and time attended. So I decided that I would leave school as soon as I could, come straight home, do nothing school related, house keeping related, errand related.....just Jonathan related :)

Among other things, we decided to do something during our evening together that we had wanted to do over Christmas break, but did not have the wide angle lens to do so with. So we did just that. We grabbed all the camera gear, hopped in the car, and drove to campus to get some late afternoon/early evening shots of Tillman. Oh, I love Tillman. We took turns taking shots, and being that Jonathan is a WAY better, more talented photographer than I am (especially in the architectural aspect), he took the time to show me some different things that I could do.
We had a great time, and I couldn't stop giggling because I looked pretty silly in some of the positions I had to take while getting some shots from the ground. He of course just stood above, directing me, while students were all over, walking the campus, staring. I'm sure they were thinking we were crazy :)

Getting some interesting shots......


.........and the result!!!

It's been a good past 24 hours on the home front. I love how God doesn't hesitate to put humor in the way He works in our lives and getting to spend any amount of time with my husband is always precious. I am so glad I was reminded today of what (who) really matters and means the most to me in this world!

3 comments:

SM Edens said...

I'm so GLAD the lens turned up safe and sound -- I too have searched and searched from our end for it. The shots are great, and it sounds as though you two had a great time -- which is always a good thing. Love you both tons.

Lindsey said...

Oh. my. I can only imagine how sick you must have been when you couldn't find that lens. On the other hand, I am sure you were as equally ecstatic to find it! Glad it turned up! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh the joys of camera trouble! I had one myself recently. Unknowingly dropped my camera into 30' of sea water. Found it the next day.