Thursday, July 9, 2009

A Quarter of a Century Old

Just as I wrote that I loved July, it is truly shaping up to meet my expectations thus far. 

Monday, I celebrated my 25th birthday. A quarter of a century old. Man. 
It's weird to look at myself in the mirror and think, "Girl, you are 25 years old!!" 
25 is not old, it is still so very young. But from what I've been told (as so many refer to it as), it's that "dreaded downward slope" to 30.
When I think about myself and being married (and the fact that I could start having children if we were ready for that right now), I still see my 21 year old self as a Clemson student, or even sometimes, my 17 year old self in high school having the time of my life!! 
I guess it's just as they say....age is JUST a number!!! Because to be quite honest, I'm 25 and I feel FINE!!! :) :) 

Just a baby, maybe 2???

17 and in high school...I think this was taken at Christmas time??

College, Senior year and 21...man THOSE were the days!!! 

And 25!!!! God is so good and it's been a GREAT run so far!!! 

So what did I do to celebrate?!? Weeeellll.....

My birthday week began this past Friday night, before my actual birthday on Monday. 
And yes, you read that right, I said my birthday week. Truth is folks, I'm rotten....spoiled rotten that is. Ever since Jonathan and I have been together, when my birthday rolls around, he has created this tradition of week long events and gifts to celebrate (anything from a special dinner he cooks and a movie together to a small "goody" such as a favorite soft drink and candy). It has carried on ever since, and may possibly end when we have kids, so I'm soaking each day of each birthday week up while I still can!!! 
That Friday night we went to Fuji in Anderson. I love, love, love, love (and a million more loves) sushi, fried rice and white sauce, and a salad with ginger sauce. Italian food use to be my favorite cuisine, and still ranks pretty high, but for about the past year, I have been loving me some Japanese. I had been craving sushi for a couple of weeks and talking about it non-stop, so when my sweet and very thoughtful hubby so casually offered to take me out for an early sushi birthday treat that night, I quickly (and very happily) obliged!!!!! 
And I ordered just that.....a salad with ginger sauce, 2 rolls of sushi, and fried rice saturated in white sauce!! It was delicious and the company was even better. We had the best time. 

                                               Ooooo I love that sushi and ooooo I love that boy!! 

The weekend went on and we celebrated the 4th with a cookout, and later that evening, fireworks in Pelzer as well as some that we shot ourselves at home. It was a really good fourth of July, spent with family and one another!! 

Fireworks in Pelzer

My mom and my aunt Rita also cooked a DELICIOUS birthday meal for me on Sunday night including my most favorite dish EVER, my aunt Rita's broccoli casserole. The two of them also made me homemade strawberry cupcakes because they both know I'm much more of a cupcake girl than a cake girl. Well.......supposedly neither of them are good at making cupcakes and apparently they had an interesting, yet fun experience while making them. 

Despite the look (and mess) they were SO GOOD!! 

When Monday finally came, it was probably one of my best birthdays yet....definitely in my top 5 of all time!!!
Jonathan and I stayed in Pelzer Sunday night (so that I was able to attend services in Gaffney the day before for my friend that passed away and so I could enjoy my mom and aunt's birthday dinner) and he had to work :(, so I spent the day with my mom and aunt Nan. That morning we went to Beechwood Farms in Marietta. Apparently my mom used to go here a good bit years ago, but hadn't been in forever. We were able to get some good, fresh vegetables that I'm sure will make for some delicious country dinners. It was nice to spend time with both of them and to be way up in the mountains. There's just something about being outside, in the South, getting fresh veggies. I loved it!!!

Beechwood Farms with my fresh veggies!! 

The front of the farmhouse and fresh okreeee!! 

My aunt Nan then treated us to lunch at the Mexican restaurant and, well, Mexican is always a favorite!!! 

The rest of the afternoon I just chilled out, took a nap, and spent some time outside with my mom. Finally (after wanting to spend ALL day with him), Jonathan came by to get me so that he could birthday treat me. :) 
All last week I had been saying that I wanted some "cheap" birthday cake (you know the kind, from BI-LO with the really good icing), and I think he must have gotten the hint!! I got my cheap birthday cake with purple and orange icing (GO TIGERS!!) and instead of flowers, which I usually get, I got a "bouquet" of gossip magazines!! HA!! It was AWESOME!! He knows me ALL to well, and there couldn't have been a better gift. If you know me, you know that (unfortunately) I LOVE my Hollywood gossip!! Very creative and very thoughtful. Oh!! And my birthday card ALSO said my new name, "Lindsey Edens...." since this was my first official Edens birthday!!! 

Check out that name...I'm an Edens. 

                                
My "bouquet" of gossip magazines, love it!! 

He then made the mistake of asking what I would like for my birthday dinner, and I asked could we have Japanese again (yes, only 2 days from when we last had it)!! Ha!! Of course he said yes, and we found this AWESOME place in Easley that is just like a Japanese steakhouse, but cheaper. I got my salad with ginger sauce and hibachi chicken again, and yes, I smothered it in white sauce. And, because it was my birthday, I let myself have a tall, big glass of Dr. Pepper....mmm, mmmm good!!!! :) :) 

      
Dr. Pepper, white sauce, and my hunny....good birthday. 

We got home, and because I have recently been pulled into the greatness that is the series "Heroes" by my dear husband, we watched about 4 or 5 episodes before the day was up. 
And oh what a great day it was. :) 

2 comments:

Lindsey said...

girl, you are 25 and fabulous! and don't let anyone fool you .. 25 is the upward slope to 30! being 30 is great!

sounds like it was an awesome birthday, and i can't think of anyone else who deserved it more. i love you, and i am glad you were born. :)

SM Edens said...

Happy Birthday WEEK to you! I love the blog (and I love that YOU love your hubby!). San