Thursday, July 23, 2009

Tune-in Thursday

Listen of the Week: Hallelujah, Gavin DeGraw 
Gavin DeGraw is one of the most talented singer and songwriters of my generation. I was introduced to him by a good friend in college, junior year. The first song that I ever heard by DeGraw was Chariot, which I am sure will eventually make it to the Listen of the Week. He is by far, one of my most favorite artists, and his songs from his first album are incredible. He sings solo, unless you count his piano......which he is ridiculously talented at tickling the ivories. His first album had so much talent behind it, but unfortunately, when his second came out, he succumbed to the "pop" world of music. It was very disappointing and almost "Britney-like" (referring to the one and only Britney Spears of course). 
There is a flip side to this though....DeGraw released his 3rd album in March of this year, and he took it back to the soul!!! It's amazing and much like the first. Look for some of those songs to hit the Listen of the Week as well. 
DeGraw does a lot of cover songs, and Hallelujah is a cover from Leonard Cohen. He has an amazing voice, raw talent, and although yet another secular singer, this song speaks to me in so many ways in a spiritual manner. 
Hope you enjoy!!! 


1 comment:

Jonathan Edens said...

This is by far my favorite version of this song!