Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Amaro Italia!

Or, as the Americans would say.....I love Italy!!!!

We haven't been here even 1 week, and already there are a few things that I simply LOVE about living in Italy. I thought I'd share those with you:

1. The "blood" oranges. Yes, that's correct...blood. I don't know what their Italian name is, but that's the English translation we were given here at the Villa. They are simply amazing. I'm surely convinced they're the BEST fruit on the face of the planet. I don't know if they are exclusive to Italy....no one has said either way.


2. The cappuccino that I make for myself each morning here at the Villa. Oh man. I don't drink coffee and on occasion will have a cappuccino....but this is not your typical American cappuccino. The Villa has 3 espresso machines in the dining area and an unlimited amount of individual servings of espresso shots (decaffeinated included!! yay!!). It's insane. I make mine in a large coffee cup, which doesn't hardly fill it up (because it's only a shot) and then I add warm milk to it!!! It is SOOO good.....I even lick the cup when I'm finished. :) The architecture kids drink the shots straight up out of tiny, little coffee cups. And it seems like they all have one in hand all day!!!

3. The salami. I have never even liked or eaten salami. EVER. I don't know what it is, but it's good. We buy it from the butcher, and it comes in a long roll and we put it through the meat slicer for cold cuts and snacks on the weekends. Yummm-y!!!


4. The showers, ooooo weeee baby!!! HA!! This is kind of a weird one because the chances are more likely for you to end up with a cold shower. However, when you are not required to be in class all the time, like me, then you have the opportunity to shower daily at a time in which no on else is -in turn, alleviating the cold shower issue. All hot water for me!!

Sidenote:
Many of you probably do not know this because I've tried not to remember it, but, while we were living in Charleston, I had a MAJOR hair situation that went on for about 3 straight months (regarding every time I showered) and this issue was not fixed until the last 3 days we were there (after I discovered the problem and worked VERY hard to fix it).

So anyways, the pressure here is REALLY good, and I could actually stay in the shower for many, many hours. It's so relaxing!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, that's just a couple of reasons why I already love this beautiful city. Every day I'm finding more and more reasons why so many people travel here, live here, and why it holds such rich history and architectural significance. And we've only seen one small portion....I can't wait to start traveling throughout the rest of the Italian country!!!

3 comments:

Rebekah Gail said...

Salami is made from pork, chopped beef, venison, poultry, horse, lamb,and goat. It is made from one or more of these animals. Its fermented and the reason its popular is because you can keep it for a long time before it goes bad. We made it at Clemson. :) Don't bring the pork version home you will be arrested at the Airport because there is a deadly virus (to pigs) that is carried in the sausage in Italy. Not in the US so there are special "sausage smelling beagles" in the airports to sniff luggage for sausage before it enters the USA. Cool huh?? We just learned that in class.

Lindsey Edens said...

Hahaha....you are too funny!! That was a lot of info, but very well noted. :) I can't believe that it's made from all of that, but it sho do taste good!! But no worries about being snuffed out.....we hadn't planned on bringing back any meat. Some Italy fashions maybe, but, no meat. :)

SM Edens said...

What about fruit? Can that be brought home? -- I'd like to sample some of those oranges you blogged about. :) San